Monday 23 December 2013

Dear Mum, Love DS....

Dear Mum,

I can sense that it's that funny time of year again where strange and odd things start to happen.
For example, a few weeks ago you got me ready for school as you normally do but when I came home later that day I was shocked to see some funny looking big green thing stood in our living room! It resembled one of them things we see when we go for a walk through the forest but Mum this one was different! It had the most annoying flashing lights and loads of glittery and sparkling round little balls hanging off it!
I don't get why all of a sudden it appeared in our house, it was too much, I just couldn't bear it so I pulled it down to show you that I didn't like it.


You wrestled with it and propped it up again then started talking with a excited voice saying something about 'Christmas' whatever that is so I pulled it down again then you seemed to know that I definitely didn't like it so removed it. At last!

Now it's not only the big green thing that I'm concerned about, what's with the books you keep showing me? They always have a funny looking man wearing a red suit and lots of white hair. The strange bit is the man's hair seems to be stuck on his chin and around his mouth! I've never seen anyone who looks like that before nor do I want to either!

Also what's with the day where everyone seems excited and my routine goes skeewiff, this is the day that I find most unnerving. You and Dad take me downstairs saying someone has been but I don't understand who. I don't like the thought of strange people coming into my house, this makes me anxious, confused and scared.
I see different shaped objects covered in what looks like patterned paper under the big green thing (is that still there, thought I made it very clear how I felt about that!) you pass me one of the objects and both look at me expectantly, smiling. I don't know what you want me to do with it, I'm confused and start to become more confused and anxious.
You rip a bit so I copy until I have taken all the patterned paper off. It's a toy but it's in a box so I can't get at it. You remove the box so I can play with it. The toy is good but what was with the box and patterned paper??  Why didn't you give me the toy as it is, I would have preferred that!

Why are there so many of these objects here under the big green thing? It's too overwhelming, my head hurts and I feel like something is bubbling away inside ready to erupt. I don't like all this strange and weird stuff and the flashing lights on the big green thing are too overwhelming, too much of a sensory overload.

Mum, if we have to experience this strange 'Christmas' thing can I make some suggestions?

  • Can we have a smaller green thing with clear lights with fewer round things or can it go in another room that I don't use much - like a bedroom?
  • Can I not have my toys wrapped in that patterned paper, I don't like the anxiety of not knowing what's inside.
  • Can I receive my presents throughout the week rather than be given them in one day, it's just too overwhelming for me.
  • Can you mark all these weird days on a calendar for me and what to expect on each day to make it easier for me to cope with?
  • Can we try to stick as closely to my usual routine as possible and allowing me some quiet time maybe in my bedroom away from anything 'Christmassy'
Thanking you in advance, Mum.

Love, Your Superstar!
xxxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment